I went to Hawaii a few years back and got to eat Kalua pork for the first time at a luau. It is so fantastic and so tender. They have a place in Utah that has amazing kalua pork, but I was excited to make my own. You guys. This cooks in your slow cooker for 16 hours! I put it in the night before and when it was ready the next day, it peeled apart. The salt and liquid smoke rub keeps it extremely tender and moist. I don't think I have ever experienced pork that was so tender and moist. I served them with some coleslaw and drizzled BBQ sauce on top. But you could really serve this however you want to! Over rice, use teriyaki sauce, it tacos, the possibilities of this delicious pork is endless. The flavor was perfect and I felt like I was in a Hawaii luau in my kitchen... haha I wish!Rating: 4 stars Difficulty of Recipe: 2 stars
Slow Cooker Kalua Pulled Pork
- 1 6 pound Pork Butt Roast
- 3 Tbsp Hawaiian sea salt (or regular sea salt works great)
- 3 Tbsp Liquid Smoke
1. Mix the sea salt and liquid smoke together in a small bowl. Place the pork into your slow cooker and run the mixture all over the roast.
2. Cook on low 16-20 hours. Turn your roast over at least once half way through.
3. Once finished remove roast from crockpot and juices and shred.
Recipe Adapted from Plain Chicken
You might also enjoy: